Exchange Server 2019 Installation
Today’s era is an era of automations, so let us see the walk through of the Exchange 2019 Installation through PowerShell.
Make sure you have followed the following blogs before moving to the installation:
- Preparing Active Directory for Exchange 2019. Check the blog here.
- Install Exchange 2019 prerequisites. Check the Blog here.
Install Windows Server 2019 OS.
Run configure the following hardening:
Run windows update and install all latest security updates
Configure Time zone
Disable Windows Firewall for all networks
Turn of IE Enhanced Security Configuration
Activate Windows if you are going to use it for production.
Keep IPv6 enabled with IPv4.
Running the unattended Setup:
Open windows PowerShell with run as administrator.
Change the directory to the Exchange setup files directory. In my case it is c:\temp\E2019CU3
Now run the below mentioned command.
.\setup.exe /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms /m:Install /R:MB
Now setup will install the following services, important to see Unified Messaging is gone from Exchange 2019 which you can see in office 365 as well.
- Mailbox role: Transport service
- Mailbox role: Client Access service
- Mailbox role: Mailbox service
- Mailbox role: Front End Transport service
- Mailbox role: Client Access Front End service
Next, important to see Exchange setup is running multiple tasks together and not waiting for the previous task to complete. This has improved the installation speed.
Setup will run Readiness first.
Then It will continue with the setup. Once the setup completes the “Exchange Management Tools” installation. This is your time to take a break. Go gym, Lunch or dinner. Come back in some time and setup should be completed.
Here we go. Setup Completed but there seem some bugs in this cumulative update, see the 88% and 12% which never finished. I have reported this bug to the Microsoft Exchange Program Manager Greg Taylor.
Restart the server.
- We still have queue viewer.
- Let us try to login to ECP. If you can’t login.
So same as Exchange 2013/2016, you need to migrate a mailbox or create a new mailbox in Exchange 2019 mailbox database.
The only option to do it is Exchange 2019 management shell.
Open Exchange management shell and run the following command to move your admin mailbox to Exchange 2013
Get Exchange 2019 mailbox database.
- Move Exchange 2013/2016 mailbox to Exchange 2019 database.
Get-Mailbox 2019mbx | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase “Mailbox Database”
Or Create a new mailbox.
New-Mailbox mbx2019 -UserPrincipalName email@example.com
- Give the password when prompted.
- Once mailbox is created add the membership of organization management and domain admins. Now try to login. Open new browser else you will get the following error.
You will get the Time zone selection page. Select your time zone and click save.
- Exchange 2019 EAC is working now. Point to be note we still see the mailbox and client access in the server roles.
- If it is a new setup, then you need to create new send connector to send emails out.
Exchange Server 2019 Installation Blog ends here.